Friday, August 2, 2013

Everything should have a "home"

For years now I have had a little magazine clipping up on our fridge called "THE GROUND RULES." Rule #2 is

Every item needs a place where it "lives." 

The clipping goes on to explain, "Setting things down on the coffee table or kitchen counter creates piles and confusion."

Yesterday one of my best friends came over. "What should we get done?!" she asked. This lady is amazing and is getting her home in order, too. Her reason is more exciting than mine...she will be getting married and they need to consolidate two living spaces into one! I told her that I needed to fold a load of laundry and to re-organize our cup cupboard in the kitchen. She hopped to it and voila! For the first time EVER our water bottles have a place to "live" and our daughter's sippy cups all fit!

Yesterday's purge: 2 robot cups, 2 Leinie's beer glasses, 3 mini beer glasses.

The robot cups were plastic and hand wash only. Ain't nobody got time for that! Due to a gluten sensitivity, I cannot drink beer. Even if I could, neither of us like Leinie's Honey Weiss anyway! We never even used the beer glasses (hello, too tall for the dishwasher! boo!) and they'd been taking up space in our cupboard for at least a year now (we won them at a trivia competition run by one of our friends). The mini glasses were from a fun outing with my friend about 8 years ago (the very friend that helped me re-organize yesterday). I am learning that I don't need objects to remind me of the good times I've had (even without the glasses, I recall the cool evening in the pub, drinking beer and eating a delicious berry-covered, melted brie while having good conversation with one of my best friends! Don't need the cups!)

Here is the new cupboard and our no longer wandering traveler water bottles!
Why, yes, those are Star Wars and Muppet character cups from the '80s on the bottom shelf.

1 comment:

  1. I like your thoughts on doing one at a time. Maybe I should implement that as well.

    ReplyDelete